vb -libs, -libbing, -libbed
to improvise and deliver without preparation (a speech, musical performance, etc.)
adj (ad lib when predicative)
adv ad lib
1. without restraint; freely
2. (Music / Classical Music) Music short for ad libitum
n, an improvised performance, often humorous
[short for Latin ad libitum, literally: according to pleasure]
- Sometimes, being in an ad-lib situation is the best way.
- Every time he got me out of trouble with a brilliant ad-lib.
- He is rather disjointed when he ad-libs.