19 June 2010

wish versus hope

wish
a)I wish to  make a complaint = I want to make a complaint. (more formal)
b)Sometimes wish is used in greeting and expressions of goodwill:
I wish you all the best in your new job.
I wish you a safe flight. (= I hope you a safe flight)
I wish you a happy birthday.
c) Wish is most commonly used in hypothetical (or imagined) situations:
    I wish that I had a dog. (I don't really have a dog, but if I did, I would be happy.) I wish (that) you were here. (Unfortunately, you're not, and I miss you.)
I wish I were rich.
He wishes he lived in Paris.
He never helps me with the dishes. I wish he would.
I've eaten too much. I wish I hadn't.

hope
Hope can also be used in expressions of goodwill, but the grammar is slightly different:
I hope (that) you have a Merry Christmas.
I hope (that) you had a nice Birthday.
(some time in the future)
(some time in the past)

I hope you a safe flight
The strike begins tomorrow. I  hope the buses will still be running.
Hope can be used to specify a desired outcome. For future hopes, the possibilities remain open, but for past hopes, the outcome has usually been determined already.
    I hope you can come to the party on Saturday.
    I was hoping that you would come to the party.
    I had hoped to see you at the party on Saturday.I hope to get an A on the exam.
    I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.
    He hopes to be elected President.
    She hoped you wouldn't find her.
    (future possibility)
    (but you didn't make it)
    (but I didn't)(it is still possible)
    (although it might)
    (it could happen)
    (but you probably did)
Wish and hope are also used in certain types of requests and pleasantries.
In such situations, wish carries a more definite and formal tone.
I wish to see the doctor.I hope to see you again. (right now)(anytime in the future)
notes: When the meanings is the same, We use wish for  present and past tense, and hope for the future.

No comments: